Password Entry Field

Talk about Keka
Forum rules
Talk about Keka here. For bugs go to Issues.
zampano
Keka & Me
Keka & Me

Password Entry Field

Post by zampano » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:18 am

I am trying to unzip a compressed and encrypted file. When I try to open the file using the default archive utility, it prompts me to enter a password. The vendor says that the default utility will not unzip the file, and indeed the correct password does not open the file.

When I open the file with Keka, I can choose a location to unzip to, but do not have the opportunity to enter a password. The unzipped file has a folder structure, documents & csv files (with filenames etc.), all with filesize 0 bytes and no content at all. Importantly, Keka reports the following error:
Extraction of "FILE" failed
Error code 1 using "kekaunar"
Unknown error
Is there a default setting that I could adjust to force entry of a password?

(Thanks!)
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Password Entry Field

Post by aone » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:52 am

Hi zampano,

Please try this:
  1. Close Keka
  2. Open the Terminal.app
  3. Execute this command in the Terminal:

Code: Select all

defaults write com.aone.keka UnzipWithUNAR false
  4. Open Keka and try the extraction again
Would be amazing if you can share with me that file (via mail, for example) so I can figure out why the default extraction method does not work.

Thanks!
aone ~
zampano
Keka & Me
Keka & Me

Password Entry Field

Post by zampano » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:32 pm

aone,

Thank you so much! That procedure did successfully unzip the file. Unfortunately, my license does not allow me to share the data. I've contacted the vendor to ask them to send me a non-confidential zipped document that I can share with you. However, I am not sure that this kind of third-party troubleshooting will be allowed. If they provide me a file to share I'll happily forward it to you.
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Password Entry Field

Post by aone » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:55 am

zampano,

I understand, glad it worked 😊

If you still have the file, you can give me some information about it without sharing it, if/when you have 5-10 minutes.
  1. Open the Terminal.app
  2. Execute this command in the Terminal:

xxd -l 20 THE_FAILING_FILE.zip
  3. This will print the signature of the ZIP file, mostly the signature of the file (if it is a ZIP), the version and the method of compression. Just share that strings with me. Will be something similar to:

00000000: 504b 0304 1400 0800 0800 f551 314e 0000  PK.........Q1N..
    00000010: 0000 0000                                ....
  4. Still in the Terminal, execute this three commands (Keka closed):

defaults write com.aone.keka UnzipWithUNAR true
    defaults write com.aone.keka DevLog -bool true
    defaults write com.aone.keka DevLogReader -bool true
  5. Open the Console.app and filter by "Keka" (in the upper right search filed, hit enter after writing Keka)
  6. Open Keka and try the extraction again, it should fail
  7. Take a look at the messages that appeared in the Console.app and share them with me (remove any paths or filenames if you need to)
  8. Once you're done, just close Keka and undo the test commands:

defaults write com.aone.keka UnzipWithUNAR false
    defaults write com.aone.keka DevLog -bool false
    defaults write com.aone.keka DevLogReader -bool false
Hope you can find the time, thanks in advance!
aone ~
zampano
Keka & Me
Keka & Me

Password Entry Field

Post by zampano » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:16 pm

I've attached a non-confidential zipped test file from the vendor that fails in the same way as my complaint above. I will send the password to you in a private message.

Please do let me know what you discover - they list Keka as the only guaranteed way for mac users to open their files because the default utility can't do it. My contact person was very happy to hear that you're following up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Password Entry Field

Post by aone » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 am

The next release 1.1.10 will have a fix for that issue. Thanks a lot zampano!
aone ~
LMF
Keka & Me
Keka & Me

Password Entry Field

Post by LMF » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:31 am

I am using Keka version 1.1.13 (that I downloaded today) on a mac running 10.10.5. I had exactly the same problem where I wasn't allowed to enter the password needed to reconstruct the .zip file. I was able to use the fix specified in this thread, and was able to open the file, but it took me a long time to locate this fix. The error message that is reported is: exactly as this github entry entry 134 ("unknown error" error code 1 using kekatar) but no clue that it is related to the password (except that it never prompted me for the password).

Thank you,
Larry
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Password Entry Field

Post by aone » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:33 am

LMF, is it possible that you share the file with me?
aone ~
LMF
Keka & Me
Keka & Me

Password Entry Field

Post by LMF » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:17 am

I also can't share the file due to the nature of the information, but I'm happy to send the info about the file that you outlined above. I'll send that info tomorrow. I'll also ask for a dummy file that you can process.
Thank you
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Password Entry Field

Post by aone » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:37 am

LMF, thanks, that would be awesome! Since it seems your file contains a TAR, would be interesting to also know what extension it has, it's rare to see a TAR password protected. Thanks for the feedback Larry!
aone ~