Color of Future Compression Format Icons

Talk about Keka
Forum rules
Talk about Keka here. For bugs go to Issues.

Which of these colors do you think would be good for zip icons for future compression formats?

Red
17%
Yellow
17%
Blue
17%
Purple
17%
Black
33%

Total votes: 6
UpdateNut
UpdateNut knows Keka
UpdateNut knows Keka
Location: About to infiltrate the rear area and annihilate your defences.

Color of Future Compression Format Icons

Post by UpdateNut » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:07 pm

As you might have noticed Keka 1.0 now has each of the different compression formats represented by a zipped file icon with a unique color. Given that Keka may be able to compress into more compression formats in the future, I thought I'd start this poll to see what you all thought would be good colors for the zipped file icons. I think that all 5 of these colors would be good choices for the icons.
I remember what that fool said in 2008 after SB Pro PE 2.483: "Try shooting the M1 with your CV90. Just try it." I did. He's still complaining. Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Re: Color of Future Compression Format Icons

Post by aone » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:03 pm

I like white!!! Where in the poll is white?!?!?!
aone ~
UpdateNut
UpdateNut knows Keka
UpdateNut knows Keka

Post by UpdateNut » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:17 pm

aone wrote:I like white!!! Where in the poll is white?!?!?!
White is already being used for the .zip icon.
I remember what that fool said in 2008 after SB Pro PE 2.483: "Try shooting the M1 with your CV90. Just try it." I did. He's still complaining. Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
pablomelo
Keka & Me
Keka & Me

Post by pablomelo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:17 am

I'm with aone! White for ZIP format!
UpdateNut
UpdateNut knows Keka
UpdateNut knows Keka

Post by UpdateNut » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:37 am

pablomelo wrote:I'm with aone! White for ZIP format!
Me too.
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Post by aone » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Of I got it now! The poll is for other formats, not for zip...! When you say zip icons I think the zip format icon... I'm going with black. Always loved this color. But it's a difficult color to make an icon.
aone ~
blacknova
Keka & Me
Keka & Me

Post by blacknova » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Slightly off topic but I'd suggest not using colors to represent file types as there are dozens of compression formats and you will run into discern-ability issues the more formats you add beyond ROYGBIV (ie: "is navy blue = .gz or is indigo blue = .gz2?" and does the avg. person know the diff?)

I'd instead recommend using a badged icon to represent things encryption and compression ratio.

ex: encrypted files could have a standard archive icon [1] with a small lock badge in the bottom right, compression ratio could be indicated with a small "%" badge in the bottom right.

Just my 2 cents
- B
:razz:

[1] maybe the :keka: icon?
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Post by aone » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm with you about the colors. For me the current scheme is enough. Further formats can adopt used colors. For example if I implement XZ compression it can be the same brown as 7z. More generic or unknown (at least by me) can be white as Zip.

Maybe the compression ratio in the icon is too much, but I like the idea of an icon identifying if it's compressed or not. It may not be too hard to do it, and just Zip and 7z can be compressed with Keka so just two more icons to do. Pablo sure can figure a good design for that :roll:
aone ~
pablomelo
Keka & Me
Keka & Me

Post by pablomelo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:41 pm

aone wrote:I'm with you about the colors. For me the current scheme is enough. Further formats can adopt used colors. For example if I implement XZ compression it can be the same brown as 7z. More generic or unknown (at least by me) can be white as Zip.

Maybe the compression ratio in the icon is too much, but I like the idea of an icon identifying if it's compressed or not. It may not be too hard to do it, and just Zip and 7z can be compressed with Keka so just two more icons to do. Pablo sure can figure a good design for that :roll:
Well, and if we use a " no zipper version " for encripted, compressed, and plugins? All of them could have a badge, (I think better at the bottom left, cause at the right side we have a " label "), we could just change the symbol inside this badge... a padlock for encrypted files, a " lego piece " for plugins and something that I still need to think for compressed... what do you think!? ;)
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Post by aone » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:05 pm

The point is that only compressed files with Keka can use this icons... As it will be applied after a compression. But I can't determine wich ones are password protected before opening them. This must be a Finder hack think, or don't know. So maybe first we must do the new file types and then think about that! HEHEEEHE
aone ~