Macintosh resource forks

Talk about Keka
Forum rules
Talk about Keka here. For bugs go to Issues.
TJung
I know Keka
I know Keka

Macintosh resource forks

Postby TJung » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:15 am

Hello,

the checkbox »Exclude Mac resource forks« doesn't have any effect on my system.
As far as I can tell from testing, when using 7z or ZIP format, the resource forks never get included, with gzip or bzip2 they are always included.

I realized this when I was compressing a folder containing Mac OS 9 font files:
After extracting the 7z archive again, the font files were completely gone. After extracting the ZIP, the files were still there but having zero bytes.

I'm working with Keka 1.0.4 (740), Mac App Store version, on Snow Leopard.

Kind regards,
TJung

TJung
I know Keka
I know Keka

Re: Macintosh resource forks

Postby TJung » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:05 pm

Hmmmmm… checking the Keka changelog, I read:
Changes in version 0.1.3 (07/01/2010)
Added an option to exclude hidden files (Mac Forks) when compressing

But the Mac resource forks are something different than those .DS_Store etc. files; e.g. the font files I'm talking about have all the important data saved in its resource fork and there is no hidden file for them even when you look at the directory using the command line.

Lotusbrod
Translator
Translator

Re: Macintosh resource forks

Postby Lotusbrod » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:55 pm

When saved to network shares I believe the resource fork is saved as a separate, hidden file ( with a file name starting with "._" ) but on the local disk it's handled differently and both forks are look like a single file. My understanding (which may be incomplete) is that resource forks started to 'go out of fashion' with the move to OS X and I didn't use Mac before then.

I suspect that since Keka compression is still handled by third party code, proper support for resource forks may be dependent on that code which is probably why you get different results depending on the archive type ... but that's a guess. Aone should be able to give a better answer.

Return to “Chat”