newbie question: how to change language

Talk about Keka
Forum rules
Talk about Keka here. For bugs go to Issues.
imi
I know Keka
I know Keka

newbie question: how to change language

Post by imi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:41 am

Dear all,

i've downloaded and installed Keka 1.0.3 on 10.8.2, however when it starts the current language is Dutch. I have not found any hint to change the language to English, probably because i don't understand Dutch... :?

Any idea?

Regards,

imi

By the way, my OS X is set up with German, so maybe the installer chooses Dutch because of that? As far as i know, there is no german translation yet. Anyway, i'd rather like English than Dutch...
Lotusbrod
Translator
Translator

Re: newbie question: how to change language

Post by Lotusbrod » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:58 am

There is no way in the interface to change the language (as far as I know) but you can do it manually in the preferences file.

Here's how to do it:

In finder go to your preferences folder: ~/Library/Preferences where there will be a file called "com.aone.keka.plist"

Make a copy of the file and put it in a safe place just in case. Open the original file using "Property List Editor" (double clicking it should do that but not in older versions of OS X).

Click on "Root" which should be the first line and then click on the "Add Child" icon at the top of the window. It will add a line called "New Item". You need to edit that new item so it is called "AppleLanguages". The second column defaults to type "String". You need to change it to "Array". Once it's set to "Array" you can right click (ctrl-click) on "AppleLanguages" and add a row. The new row will be called "Item 0" with type "String". In the third column (the value) enter "en" without the quotes. Now save the file.

The next time you open Keka it will be in English.

If something goes wrong and Keka crashes just replace your modified file with the copy you took before changing it ... but it should be okay, I've done this myself with other apps and just tested it forcing Keka to open in Spanish on my English system.

Just in case it is not obvious, you have now set Keka to always open in English so even if it is localised to German it will continue to open in English. It is possible that if you add two rows with item 0 set to "de" and item 1 set to "en" it will open in English if it can't find German resource or in German if it can but I've not tested that.
imi
I know Keka
I know Keka

Post by imi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:08 am

Thanks Lotusbrod for your tip. I have found another way (more or less by accident) which is also quite simple: change Language in System Settings from German to English, log off/on, change back again to German, log off/on and Keka is in english language (and stays in english even after a reboot)

However, both your tip as well as my approach just work for the current user. Since the iMac i'm working on will be for a student's lab, i wan't them all to have Keka in english without having them to hassle with either the plist file or the language switching in the system settings. Is there a global preference file for Keka?

Regards, imi
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Post by aone » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:28 pm

For the future, the correct way is to set your Mac language to German and English as the second language on the list (In the System Preferences/Language & Text list). You don't really need to logout since you only want to change Keka language, so restarting Keka is sufficient.
aone ~