Options for Individual Compressions

Talk about Keka
Forum rules
Talk about Keka here. For bugs go to Issues.
igorleandro
Keka & Me
Keka & Me

Options for Individual Compressions

Post by igorleandro » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi,

First of all, allow me to thank you so much for Keka. I've been following the project since its early 0.1 stages and I couldn't be happier with how it has turned out so far.

One suggestion I would like to make is to provide a "Compression Options" window when we hold "alt" or "shift" or any other key while selecting "Compress with Keka" menu option or even after dragging files over the icon on the dock.

This window would set the options for that compression ONLY, while the main options would still take place whenever we were not pressing the key.

This is particularly useful when we want to just "store" or break in multiple volumes but not for every single file.

Thank you!
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Re: Options for Individual Compressions

Post by aone » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi!

About the Compress with Keka menu option, I'm not aware of a way to do that.

The main reason you want this is for compressing something with a particular configuration, but for this, you just need to open Keka and select which configuration to use. The defaults are selected in the Keka preferences so the next time you use Keka it will use them, not your last configuration.

But your point gives me an idea, another menu item to "Compress with Keka..." than launches first the Keka window so you can configure the package first.

Anyway, if you think I'm missing the point let me know.

Thanks!
aone ~
igorleandro
Keka & Me
Keka & Me

Post by igorleandro » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi aone,

You got the idea.

Basically, what I was thinking was a single menu item, however, at launch or new execution (since it could be loaded in the background already), Keka could check if the key Shift or Alt or whichever you choose was pressed, and if so, would pop the window so the user could configure the package.

It is the same idea, however, without requiring a second menu option.

Like:
- keka launches from menu option
- if shif is pressed, show options window
- compresses

Whichever way you decide to execute this, it would be very nice to have such option so we could set options for each package without having to load the app, change options then dragging files to create the archives, right? =)
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Post by aone » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:51 pm

I really like the idea of the hotkey at launch :)
aone ~
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Post by aone » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:47 am

Another Keka user, Jonas, asked me to use the right menu to compress selecting first the extraction location. This can be done with another hotkey...
aone ~
hAmpzter
I know Keka
I know Keka

Post by hAmpzter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Hey.

I'm that Jonas! :)

Yes, I want this feature but the other way around!
Say I have a bunch of zip-files (scattered in a bunch of subfolders that I select in finder and drag to Keka) I wan't to easily extract them to a single folder but otherwise when double-clicking a single zip I want it to revert to my normal behaviour to extract in the same folder!

Regards,
</Jonas>
igorleandro
Keka & Me
Keka & Me

Post by igorleandro » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:16 pm

Your post confuses me on one thing: "Menu to Compress" and "Extract Location".

--== Compression ==--
Assuming it is for compression, that is an interesting idea, however, I don't think that having several keys will make it easier. People might remember that it is either Shift or Alt for the "extra window", but most likely people will not remember which key is for what.

Maybe, there could be a destination area in the window where you could just choose where the file would go.

--== Extraction ==--
Now, if the idea was for extraction, that it is pretty simple I guess.

Assuming Shift is the key for "extra options", if you're compressing you pop that options window as we discussed before.

If it is a compressed file already, then instead of the options window you just popup a "Choose Destination" or save as file location.

--== Menu Item Name Change ==--
If done like that, maybe you should change the name of the service menu from "Compress with Keka" to "Send to Keka", as the first kind of implies a new compression. Perhaps even just "Keka" or "Compress/Extract with Keka", this last is long but gosh it would not mislead people.

Bottom line is, trying to keep it simple, one menu item, one key. =)
hAmpzter
I know Keka
I know Keka

Post by hAmpzter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 am

Why not just have a right-click menu on the files?

For extraction;
Right-click menu on compressed files that just says "Extract with Keka to..." ?

For compression;
Right-click menu on files you want to compress that just says "Compress with Keka..." ?

If you want the default-settings you just either double click (extraction) or drag the items to Keka icon (compression)?!

Regards,
</Jonas>