Compression Benchmark Standings

Talk about Keka
Forum rules
Talk about Keka here. For bugs go to Issues.
UpdateNut
UpdateNut knows Keka
UpdateNut knows Keka
Location: About to infiltrate the rear area and annihilate your defences.

Compression Benchmark Standings

Post by UpdateNut » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Overall Standings (after adjusting for the presence of the other compressors):
(Note: I only tested Keka 0.1.4.3 with .7z except for the .jpg file, so I'm not including in here)
(Note 2: Keka 1.0.3 has no better performance than 1.0.1)
(Note 3: I am unable to test Ez7z 2.13 because of errors)

Keka 1.0.1 (349) #59
Ez7z 2.12 #60
CleanArchiver 3.0a6 (39) #63
B1 Free Archiver 0.7.1.1891 #68
7zX 1.7.1 #72
Compress 3.0 (6) #106
TarPit 1.43 #119

Update 6:I've figured out how to set Keka to be default program for opening archives.

Update 5:I have finished benchmarking a more recent archiver, B1 Free Archiver at http://b1.org. Wonderful interface, but doesn't quite match Keka overall in benchmarks. In addition, it's made itself the default application for opening .7z files, with no way to change this. I've messaged the developer about this.

Update 4: I have completed testing on OS X 10.6.8. I have dropped CleanArchiver 2.3.1 and DropLHa from the standings because of their sub standard performance. I have also corrected one of the results for 7zX 1.7.1, so it had to be dropped a little in the rankings. iPackr's download link was to the App Store, and I prefer to not make too many accounts on the Internet, CocoaZip had an annoying bug which caused it to crash if you compressed the same file in a new format after compressing them in another and then tried to drag it away. iZip wanted to install some plugin, which I wasn't interested in. So in short, none of the promised benchmarks of new compressors came through. I'm sorry.

Update 3: I have added 7zX 1.7.1 to the benchmark.

Update 2: I have added DropLHa 3.0.3 to the benchmark, and corrected a repeated typo.

Update: I have added Compress 3.0 (6) to the benchmark, and corrected an error in the results for CleanArchiver 3.0a6 (39). I also corrected an error in the Overall Standings where I failed to take into account the presence of the other file compressors when placing every compressor after CleanArchiver 3.0a6 (39).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by UpdateNut on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:57 am, edited 10 times in total.
I remember what that fool said in 2008 after SB Pro PE 2.483: "Try shooting the M1 with your CV90. Just try it." I did. He's still complaining. Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Re: Compression Benchmark Standings

Post by aone » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:22 pm

Cool!!! It'll be great if the CompressionOverallStandings.rtf list is in your post :)
aone ~
UpdateNut
UpdateNut knows Keka
UpdateNut knows Keka

Post by UpdateNut » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:48 am

Added. ;) Also, I'll be upgrading OS X 10.5.8 Leopard to Snow Leopard soon, so I will test Keka 1.0 for Snow Leopard, and will test all of the other programs again once the upgrade is done (except for DropLHa, which really was abysmal and whose compression format is rare expect for files from Japan, from what I've heard).
I remember what that fool said in 2008 after SB Pro PE 2.483: "Try shooting the M1 with your CV90. Just try it." I did. He's still complaining. Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
UpdateNut
UpdateNut knows Keka
UpdateNut knows Keka

Post by UpdateNut » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:15 pm

I just tested Keka 1.0.1 leo (349). No improvement over 1.0leo (333), but that's to be expected since it's mostly a collection of bug fixes. I'll be ordering the Snow Leopard upgrade today, and once that's installed I'll be testing the Snow Leopard version of Keka, retesting all of the other file compressors in the benchmark (with the exception of DropLHa), and testing 3 new ones (iZip, iPackr, and CocoaZip).
UpdateNut
UpdateNut knows Keka
UpdateNut knows Keka

Post by UpdateNut » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Mac OS X 10.6.8 is installed, and I'm loving the sheer speed. Keka 1.0.1 (349) results are the same as 1.0.1 for Leopard. More testing continues. :keka:
UpdateNut
UpdateNut knows Keka
UpdateNut knows Keka

Post by UpdateNut » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:46 pm

I have updated the standings and the results with B1 Free Archiver included.
denson
I know Keka
I know Keka

Post by denson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:10 pm

This is very useful!

I am much more interested in speed than size. Am I overlooking a result for speed?
UpdateNut
UpdateNut knows Keka
UpdateNut knows Keka

Post by UpdateNut » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:37 pm

denson wrote:This is very useful!

I am much more interested in speed than size. Am I overlooking a result for speed?
No, you are not. I made the standings as a measurement of raw compression only.