how to set keka as default?

Talk about Keka
Forum rules
Talk about Keka here. For bugs go to Issues.
germanuser
I know Keka
I know Keka

how to set keka as default?

Post by germanuser » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 am

Hello, I am not able to set keka as default:

1. I pressed the "set keka as default" button in keka preferences panel
2. I chose to exclude the OSX_ folder
3. I compressed files on my desktop using right-mouse-click and choosing "copmress..." in context menu
4. The zip file seems still be compressed by osx-software: After opening the zip on a pc, the OSX_ folder ist still there.
5. If i drag and drop files directly on the keka window to compress, all is doing fine (no OSX_ folder in zip)

Can you help me, what am i doing wrong? :?:
dlp
Keka & Me
Keka & Me

Re: how to set keka as default?

Post by dlp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:29 pm

There's an underlying question here: Exactly what does the "Set Keka as default compressor/uncompressor" option in its General Preferences do?"

We might suppose that, for uncompressing, it's equivalent with using Get Info to make Keka the default app for opening the filetypes it can handle, i.e., 7z, ZIP, TAR, GZIP, BZIP2, and maybe even DMG and ISO. But those are "maybes" -- only aone can answer definitively.

Whether it's possible to override OSX's default use of the OSX Archive Utility in that context menu is another matter. I wouldn't have thought so, but it does seem implied by the wording of that Keka General Preferences option.

I, too, will be interested to learn the answers.
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Post by aone » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:30 pm

It's just for extraction, it becomes the default extractor.

You can use the Keka context menu, which can be downloaded in the download page, that adds an element to the context menu so you can compress using Keka with a right click :D .
aone ~
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Post by aone » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:31 pm

dlp, no hack here, but if someone finds a way to do it, I'll be glad to use it :)
aone ~